By Violeta Ferrer
May 15th : Puerta del Sol, citoyenne door
Reminder: On May 15th 2011, an “Indignant “Movement was born as a reaction to the European economic crisis. It’s a citizens’ movement, which aims to promote participatory democracy and a radical change of the neoliberal policies. The demonstrators are mainly young people, intellectuals and laymen who declare themselves independent of the control of political parties, unions, churches and mass media. “The Nonviolent Struggle in 50 points”: « La Lutte non-violente en 50 points »
A new tool of power: Their voice transcends borders. Social networks and blogs are their faithful allies to disseminate their ideas, organize demonstrations, share opinions and increasingly recruit indignant all around the world. A new freedom of opinion has arisen. Facebook and Twitter they are more than social networks, they became a multimedia platform: Photos, articles, opinions, videos, reporting, events’ organization,etc. Tools necessary for a Multimedia movement.
From August 15 to 21: GOD BLESS THE “INDIGNANT”:
The Antipope group and the “Indignant” movement pushed by the enthusiasm, euphoria and success of the manifestations in Spain and all over the world decided to protest against a supreme untouchable mystical power: The Pope Benedict XVI.
Medias : Euronews, 17 August 2011
Twitter : The Indignant
Twitter: The WYD
Madrid hosted the Pope during the World Youth Day (WYD). The Government considered the day as an exceptional event and of public interest. On the contrary, protesters were arguing that the arrival of the Pope was a demonstration of supranational power/influence. Their unhappiness was fed by the enormous costs of the event, in a context of severe economic crisis. WYD is definitely too pompous, too expensive: For a week, between 50 and 60 million € were spent. A million of young religious people with different ideas than the “Indignant” attended the event. According to the citizen movement, the Pope’s visit should have been less luxurious and pompous:
Organizers defended themselves by proving that the budget has decreased by 20% in comparison to the budget of 2008 in Australia, and participants funded about 80%. Only the authorities and Catholic associations or private companies would finance the remaining 20%. In a time of deep crisis, the Pope’s arrival in Madrid was a major event broadcasted by media around the world.
The face to face/ confrontation:
It was lost by the “Indignant”, considered that they were only a few hundred protesters against more than 2,000 million pilgrims. Postures and religious ideas were confronted openly in the streets of the Spanish capital. “Indignant” did not have any other choice than to give up and become “indignant” at home and on social networks as the city, previously held by them, was now the city of Jesus’ followers.
As expected the event caused several damages, some wounds and arrests. The police violence against demonstrators was highlighted on traditional media and social networks:
For years, religious groups have been using new technologies of communication and information to reach new generations. The proof is on Facebook: 102’432 persons are already registered to the WYD page, at 423 days of the event.
If you are an atheist, in a minute you will be convinced to convert to the Catholic Church: watch this publicity!
WYD – Catholic youth answer to laic, atheist, against pope, protest at Madrid, Spain:
On the other hand, if you would like to understand why the capitalism is broken watch this video: “Story of stuff, Full Version; How Things Work, About Stuff”
In conclusion, by analyzing the events of August 2011 in Spain, we confirmed that the new generation, conservative or liberal, are using new technologies to claim their ideologies and postures. This is the true revolution of youth.
To be continued…
Do you agree with the “Indignant “or the Catholic youth? What is your opinion on Pope Benedict XVI?
Your opinion matters: Write it here !